Maths allows children to develop their thinking, reasoning and problem solving skills. At Bright Horizons, we place great emphasis on children developing a solid understanding of the concept of ‘number’ (number bonds, times tables and so on) and later on, on applying this knowledge to help them solve mathematical problems including word problems.
In Years 1 to 6 we follow the UK National Curriculum, but supplement this with Singapore Maths. In Years 7 and 8, we will also follow the UK National Curriculum, but we are aware that some children will move on to Croatian high school. Therefore, in Years 7 and 8, we will also cover any areas not covered by the UK National Curriculum to help prepare these children for entry to Croatian high schools.
We aim to:
- promote a love of maths and problem solving
- encourage children to think logically and use existing knowledge to help them solve ‘new’ and ‘different’ mathematical problems
- instil confidence and competence when working with numbers
- provide children with the necessary skills to develop and use mathematical arguments and reasoning to answer questions
- use their skills and knowledge to solve increasingly complex problems